Skip to main content

#CoffeeShopCamping: The Frap Bar, Hotel Lorita





It's not the first time that I tried to work in coffee shops. My 'coffice' search started (and failed) in 2012. There weren't many coffee shops in Bulacan back then, and freelancing was unheard of. It was difficult to find a coffee shop that welcomed remote workers.

Fast forward to 2016. Entrepreneur Philippines now features freelancing/freelancers in its articles regularly. Independent contractors come up on Facebook from time to time to share their stories and excitement for the entire world to read. We're no longer unheard of. We're now a community that sparks interest from people looking for jobs or looking into the option of starting a service-based business from home. As for me, that's total of 5 years in freelancing, and just very recently-- in Tuguegarao City.

A lot has changed, but the question of whether I will be able to find a coffee shop that will welcome me in their place still stands. Prior to moving to Tuguegarao City, I found a decent coffee shop that allowed me to work (and charge my netbook) while I wait for Isha in school. Later on, she went to grade school and we transferred her in a public school. I was unable to visit that coffee shop again. With the promise of finding coffice gone, I set out to work in many other food establishments, which was not a very good idea since these places are high-traffic and their tables fast-moving. I gave up on my search and settled to just work from home all the time.

Moving to Tuguegarao City, the need for an alternative to my home office came up again. The city, in all its beauty, is modern and progressive. However, a power maintenance is expected from its local electricity provider every week. We're out of power from 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM once a week. There are days when Internet is slow, too. The connection is fast, but there are times when it just slows down. Where do I go when these things happen? Next to McDonald's (Awesome place to get work done, but high traffic at certain times of the day), my best option are coffee shops.

Hospitality industry is big in Tuguegarao City (with it being a tourist destination). You will find plenty of hotels in its town plaza. In their lobbies are coffee shops. There are standalone milk tea shops in town, which I plan to visit as well. My interest, however; remained in coffee shops. Oh, that coffice dream!

Hotel Lorita lobby


Thankfully, I found a coffee shop near St. Peter's Cathedral. It's in the lobby of Hotel Lorita; calls itself, “The Frap Bar”. The place is simple, nothing intimidating, but what I really loved about it is this;


Laptop Economy!

The Frap Bar




Finally, I'm not the only one! It's laptop economy/ coffee shop camping right before my eyes. There were two guys who appeared to be working and a couple of students doing their homework.

We occupied a 4-seater table just in front of the baristas. They are nice, and are cool with me charging my laptop in a nearby power outlet. Almost every corner of the place has it. Everything about it screamed coffee shop camping!

Isha and Bunch ordered Chocolate Overload and Chocolate Waffle. I ordered Dark Chocolate Tea, and settled in my seat to get some work done. It was a relaxed workday. I wasn't worried they will kick us out after we're done with our food and drinks. The two other guys who were there before us didn't seem to be in a rush. In fact, they stayed even after we left.

Bunch took care of Elisha while I work. His research work can be done at home because it doesn't require fast Internet. I do content creation, so I get to work where Internet is fastest, and I'm lucky it's The Frap Bar's core strength.



Isha busied herself with her crayons. It's so much fun to see us 'co-working' like we used to. It may be the place that inspired her to choose such a relaxing activity over her usual 'I-brought-myself-toys-I-can-play-anywhere' activities. When she chose to behave in the way she behaved in that coffee shop, I knew she has learned an important lesson. She wasn't like that in McDonald's, and I didn't expect her to be. We're good for as long as I know she knows how to behave appropriately wherever we take her. It's BIG CHECK on my Freelancing Wahmmy goals. Made The Frap Bar literally the place 'Where Freelancing Meets Parenting'.




Ask me to rate The Frap Bar? I will be biased if I will rate them based on how they made me feel. I felt welcome, and it's a feeling I have not felt in coffee shops in a long time. It's an 8 (Food/Drinks & Customer Service considered), and we're definitely coming back.




Happy Freelancing!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recipe: Sinigang Na Buto-Buto ng Baka

A few days ago, we went to SM Marilao Hypermarket to buy chicken and cook Tinolang Manok. Everything had been planned for lunch, but when we saw the lot of Buto-Buto ng Baka on sale; we decided to give it a try and cook Sinigang  na Baka.  Sinigang is a favorite in our family (in many Filipino families, actually). My Nanay cooks the best Sinigang na Baboy and Baka. For Sinigang na Baka; she buys from her suki in Meycauayan Market, where she only pays for the beef strips and gets its fat free of charge. Her Sinigang is tasty and sinfully delicious; we're like in Tokyo Tokyo whenever it is our ulam (Unli rice!) My Sinigang na Buto-Buto ng Baka is no match compared to her's, but it turned out very good, too. Buto-Buto is flavorful and is perfect match to my Sinigang's thick sour soup. I'm proud to have cooked it a couple times and to have succeeded each time (which is not always the case, believe me!). Below are the ingredients and recipe for Sinigang na Buto-Bu

OPPO F1s: Valentine’s Dream Date

Before I talk about my Valentine's Dream Date, I'd love to first give you a bit background about who I am and what I do. Who I am can easily be summed up in 4 letters: W-A-H-M. I am a Work-At-Home-Mom doing various freelance writing, admin, social media and design work for clients abroad. I have been in the business for many years. Haven't looked back to my also fun call center life since. I have no regrets about choosing to be home all the time. After all, I am an introvert. I don't really enjoy being in a crowd. They can be overwhelming to me. I also have a 7 year old daughter, and I'm just really thankful I am present in her life and I get to watch her grow up into a happy, beautiful girl each day. I understand this is a privilege not many moms get to enjoy. I love my WAHM  life! I'm going to say this over and over again— I live to be a good mother and homemaker. I believe this is God's purpose for my life. Freelancing helps me achieve this. Working