Skip to main content

Relaxed Parenting Tuesday: Let's Work Together





My life at home is a beautiful mess. It's a combination of stress and less. Stress brought about by having one space for both work and play, and less on travel time, transportation costs, traffic hassles, expensive work lunches, etc. I love what I do. When my sister asked for my advice on a career change she had to make; I asked her to list down PROS and CONS for both her options and make a decision from there. If I have to take my own advice and weigh the advantages and disadvantages of working in the office VS working from home; the latter will obviously win.

But working from home is never always bright and sunny. There are days of no work, days of tons of work and days of distraction. The last sounded like the worst! Although spelled differently from 'destruction'; it is equally damaging to mood and productivity. WAHMs and freelancers should avoid days of distraction at all cost. It is a form of wasting time that can otherwise be spent with valuable work, family, personal projects, cooking or whatever. If you are distracted, it is best to stop working and deal with the distraction than try hard to get work done with divided attention. Exactly what I did with my lovely distraction a couple of days ago.

My ultimate goal has always been to work smart, not hard. This is the reason I always try to find side project opportunities that can generate passive income. One side project I tried, which have been fairly successful is Happy Freelancing-- a contractor agency that has provided     homebased job opportunities to people within my circle (to start). I earn commission (Agency Fee) from our member's work, which allows me to spend more time homemaking and parenting, and not more time in front of the computer working. I take pride of the work we do in the agency, and of the fact that we have provided quality jobs to our members. 

The agency has one active member at the moment. The project secured both the contractor and the agency weekly income, which allowed me to spend less time at work. Unfortunately, with how living expenses are these days, a passive income and a part-time job won't do. Before I knew it, I'm back trying to go full-time freelancing again. You can probably imagine how stressful a sudden change in schedule can be! I was working late, preparing Isha for school in the morning and helping her with her assignments/projects in the afternoon-- I felt so busy. I was being productive, but absent-minded at home. My thoughts were always at work... and my little lady noticed.


The Proposal





The day came when she just can't take it anymore. She did everything she can to keep me away from the computer with her questions, invitation to play and 'always hungry' complaints. I didn't see it as an effort to get my attention at first until it has started to really annoy me. I had to deal with the flavor of the month distraction... Exciting! We needed to talk. She needed to know she's the month's distraction! But just when I was about to tell her to stay in a corner and play with her things; I realized how much she's been wanting to show me her drawings and to talk to me about her classmates. The girl obviously misses me! I logged out from work and gave her my undivided attention. I proposed we work together.



My Space





Space is important to me when I work. In fact, you'll find it odd that I have always kept my workstation spotlessly clean even when other parts of the apartment aren't. I value my space, but I won't mind sharing it with my daughter if I need to. That day, I shared my computer desk with her. I read Facebook comments out loud and spoke of my responses as I typed them in. She drew beside me. She'd ask me, "Anong reply" to start a conversation about the work I do. I would look at her creation and appreciate it with love and honesty. My workday ended early that day. I spent quality time with her and made it clear that we have to set boundaries. "Mommy's got to work", I told her. It is The Rock's line from Fast & Furious. I'm glad she remembered it well. 


We rearranged stuff at home the next day. I traded my comfy, spacious area of work for a corner in the apartment. We made physical boundaries, but made it clear that Mommy won't always be in that corner. She'll come out from time to time, and the little lady will  know that it's time to play, study, talk or watch a movie. 

That's the thing about parenting: You have your own needs as a parent, but your kid needs you, too. You have to keep boundaries, but you have to come out of them eventually. And as always, nothing can possibly go wrong when you are relaxed. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recipe: Sinigang Na Buto-Buto ng Baka

A few days ago, we went to SM Marilao Hypermarket to buy chicken and cook Tinolang Manok. Everything had been planned for lunch, but when we saw the lot of Buto-Buto ng Baka on sale; we decided to give it a try and cook Sinigang  na Baka.  Sinigang is a favorite in our family (in many Filipino families, actually). My Nanay cooks the best Sinigang na Baboy and Baka. For Sinigang na Baka; she buys from her suki in Meycauayan Market, where she only pays for the beef strips and gets its fat free of charge. Her Sinigang is tasty and sinfully delicious; we're like in Tokyo Tokyo whenever it is our ulam (Unli rice!) My Sinigang na Buto-Buto ng Baka is no match compared to her's, but it turned out very good, too. Buto-Buto is flavorful and is perfect match to my Sinigang's thick sour soup. I'm proud to have cooked it a couple times and to have succeeded each time (which is not always the case, believe me!). Below are the ingredients and recipe for Sinigang na Buto-Bu

OPPO F1s: Valentine’s Dream Date

Before I talk about my Valentine's Dream Date, I'd love to first give you a bit background about who I am and what I do. Who I am can easily be summed up in 4 letters: W-A-H-M. I am a Work-At-Home-Mom doing various freelance writing, admin, social media and design work for clients abroad. I have been in the business for many years. Haven't looked back to my also fun call center life since. I have no regrets about choosing to be home all the time. After all, I am an introvert. I don't really enjoy being in a crowd. They can be overwhelming to me. I also have a 7 year old daughter, and I'm just really thankful I am present in her life and I get to watch her grow up into a happy, beautiful girl each day. I understand this is a privilege not many moms get to enjoy. I love my WAHM  life! I'm going to say this over and over again— I live to be a good mother and homemaker. I believe this is God's purpose for my life. Freelancing helps me achieve this. Working

#CoffeeShopCamping: The Frap Bar, Hotel Lorita

It's not the first time that I tried to work in coffee shops. My 'coffice' search started (and failed) in 2012. There weren't many coffee shops in Bulacan back then, and freelancing was unheard of. It was difficult to find a coffee shop that welcomed remote workers. Fast forward to 2016. Entrepreneur Philippines now features freelancing/freelancers in its articles regularly. Independent contractors come up on Facebook from time to time to share their stories and excitement for the entire world to read. We're no longer unheard of. We're now a community that sparks interest from people looking for jobs or looking into the option of starting a service-based business from home. As for me, that's total of 5 years in freelancing, and just very recently-- in Tuguegarao City. A lot has changed, but the question of whether I will be able to find a coffee shop that will welcome me in their place still stands. Prior to moving to Tuguegarao City, I found